Chevening Scholarships enable excellent emerging leaders from throughout the world to study in the United Kingdom for a one-year master’s degree.
While there is no such thing as a “typical” Chevening Scholar, the institution is searching for people with the intuition, zeal, and ability to deliver the answers and leadership needed to make the world a better place.
Table of Contents
Chevening Scholarships to Study Abroad in 2022
Since these scholarships are entirely financed (flights, lodging, and course costs are all covered), you can concentrate on accomplishing your professional goals and making the most of your once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
You will spend a year living and studying in the United Kingdom. During this time, you will grow professionally and academically, network widely, learn about the British culture, and form good lasting bonds with the country.
You will leave the UK with the knowledge and networks essential to bring your own ideas to life once you have completed your studies.
Chevening Scholarship Requirements
- You must be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible nation or territory to be considered for the Chevening Scholarship.
- By the time you submit your application, you should have satisfied all components of an undergraduate degree that will permit you to enlist in a postgraduate program at a UK university. In the United Kingdom, this usually is equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honors degree, but it may differ based on your study and university of choice.
- You are required to have at least two years of work background (equal to 2,800 hours).
- By July 14, 2022, you must have applied to three separate UK university-approved courses and received an unconditional offer from at least one of them.
- After your award has been completed, you must return to your home country for a minimum of two years.
If you meet the following criteria, you will not be considered for a Chevening Scholarship:
- Unless a British Overseas Territory citizen or hold BN(O) and/or applying from Hong Kong, you must not be a British or dual British citizen.
- You will not be eligible for Chevening 2022 scholarship if you have refugee status in a country that is not a Chevening-qualifying country. Applicants must be citizens of a Chevening-eligible country and have refugee status in that country to be considered for a scholarship.
- You are not qualified for the Chevening Scholarship 2022 if you are a current or former employee of Her Majesty’s Government (including British embassies/high commissions, the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, the Department for International Trade, the Ministry of Defence, and the Home Office), or a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities’ staff.
- Workers, employees (past and relatives) of Chevening partner organizations are qualified to apply. Still, they will not receive a Chevening Partner Award from the organization where they work, previously worked, or are related to.
- You will not be eligible for the scholarship if you previously studied in the UK with money from a UK Government-funded scholarship.
Applications are electronically sifted against the eligibility requirements when they are submitted, and ineligible applications will be deleted from the selection process.
Chevening Scholarship 2022 Application Process
- On the website, select your country, then Chevening Scholarship.
- Right after, you are required to create an account.
- Fill up your personal information in your profile, save it, and check it before starting your application.
- To ensure your eligibility for the scholarship, take the quiz.
- Fill the application with the required data and prepare the following documents:
- Completed education documents.
- English language qualification.
- Conditional offers for proposed courses of study (up to three)
- Unconditional offers for planned courses of study (up to three) (By July 14, 2022, you must have uploaded at least one unconditional offer.)
- References (If you are selected for an interview, you will be asked to submit two references.) The deadline for submissions is February 22, 2022.
- Passport or other forms of identification.
- Fill out the application and submit it.
- From the application deadline until when scholars are conditionally selected for an award, the selection process for Chevening Scholars takes at least eight months.
Chevening Scholarship 2022 Deadline (Closing Date)
The official deadline (closing date) for the Chevening scholarship 2022 edition is February 22, 2022.
Chevening Scholarship Letter of Requirements (Reference)
The letter of recommendation (reference document) should contain the following:
- How long have you known the applicant?
- The relationship with the applicant (e.g., professional, educational, supervisory, voluntary, religious).
- The last time you last had regular contact with the applicant.
- A concise summary of the applicant’s qualifications, including:
- Personal, intellectual, and interpersonal traits
- Leadership and networking skills
- Ability to complete a rigorous academic program in the United Kingdom.
Chevening Scholarship Monthly Stipend Amount
Every month, a personal living allowance to cover living expenses and housing. The amount of your stipend will be determined by whether or not you are studying inside London. Outside of London, it is presently £917 per month, and within London, £1134 monthly (subject to annual review).
Chevening Scholarship Sponsors
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) funds Chevening Scholarships, with additional contributions from universities and other partners in the UK and abroad, including governmental and business sector organizations.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Is it possible for me to stay back in the UK at the end of my course?
Chevening Scholars cannot extend their stay or apply for a Graduate route visa. When you accept a Chevening Award, you promise to return home when your scholarship has ended for at least two years.
Is Chevening Scholarship Monthly Allowance Taxable?
No, the Chevening scholarship monthly stipend is not taxable. However, it is subject to an annual review.
Will the C0VlD-19 Guidelines in the United Kingdom make my application more difficult?
Certainly not. Even students from countries on the C0VlD-19 blacklist are welcome to apply for Chevening Scholarships. After booking your incoming flight, all students entering the UK from a red-flagged country will have the opportunity to secure a quarantine package via Diversity Travel. Quarantine packages bought via Diversity Travel will be paid for by Chevening.
What happens If I do not return to my country after completion of my award?
If you do not return to your home country for at least two years after completion of your award, you will be considered to have broken an award condition and will be required to repay all cash awarded to you during the duration of your award.
Am I allowed to work during the Chevening Scholarship period?
Scholars at publicly financed universities and private providers who have a track record of compliance can work up to 20 hours per week during the school year and full-time during statutory vacation periods and when their course is completed.
Does Chevening scholarship require IELTS?
There is no English language requirement at Chevening, but you must still meet all of the requirements set forth by your chosen university.
Because of the C0VlD-19 epidemic, UK colleges recognize that taking some English language assessments may be challenging for students starting in 2022. As a result, many have broadened their list of acceptable admission qualifications. Please check with your specific universities to see what they require.